Leader and boss: the differences
In day-to-day work, it is easy to detect if the person leading a team is a leader or a boss. In fact, the attitude towards people is quite different.
The conduct of a boss and a leader is very different in many respects. The leader, highly respected and admired by the members of a team, is able to direct people in order to carry out tasks to meet what is proposed. He is usually a professional who does not impose, but asks and considers the opinion of employees in order to analyse them. Adopting a more democratic attitude, he calls for the participation of all. A leader does not centralize power, but delegates that same power to the team he works with. Furthermore, he motivates by exploring the abilities and talents of all.
In turn, the boss is greatly known to be authoritative and not to allow the possibility of employees to give their views, in addition to centralize power. Usually, he does not accept to be countered and wants to see the tasks performed “at any cost”, that is, regardless of aspects related to human conditions. Although feared, the boss is rarely respected and rarely asked for advice in a given situation. This is a demotivating person, pointing errors and giving little encouragement for employees to improve their skills. When something goes wrong, he points the team as guilty, but when the work is successful he gets all the credit.
Features of a leader
- Motivates the team;
- In view of the results achieved, he gives credit to the whole team and not just himself;
- Concerned with the development of the team members who he leads;
- Gives the positive example.
Features of a boss
- Gives orders and is demotivating;
- Centralizes power;
- In view of the results, he does not include the team in the credits;
- Leads by authority.
Some differences between a boss and a leader
– The leader motivates, the boss imposes fear;
– The leader advises, the boss determines;
– The leader focuses on the team, the boss on the tasks;
– The leader empowers, the boss centralizes power;
– The leader cares about values and people, the boss cares about results to be achieved.